Thursday, March 13, 2014

MDS Blog Hop - Hybrid projects


This week we're focusing on hybrid or e-cutter projects. Now... I did get a Cameo for Christmas and I am so, so excited about it - but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Do you ever feel like the more you try to simply life the busier it gets? That's where I am right now. But hey - I pulled it out of the box! Tell me that's not progress. ;)

I recently did a blog post for the MDS Design Team showing some of the cute things I made for my son Jesse's nursery. If you've already seen that post then I apologize for the repeat. This time I just wanted to show you a hybrid project I created. I've seen this idea floating around Pinterest and I'm so glad I was finally able to finish it.


I like to decorate my kids' rooms around a particular theme or idea; for Jesse I chose "Oh, the Places You'll Go." It's one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. I wanted something that would grow with him, so I purposely stayed away from things that were baby-ish. 

I remember spending hours looking at National Geographic magazines as a kid - I've always wanted to travel. There's something so magical about dreaming of far off places. Anyway, I scoured Instagram for all the coolest photos of the coolest places out there, saved them to my phone and then had them printed. I couldn't resist using MDS to bring in some fun elements. Stampin' Up has put out some pretty awesome travel downloads! 

My photos were 3x3 so I created the same size box on my page in MDS and filled it with quotes and graphics. Then all I had to do was print those designs, cut out the individual elements and put them together. I used Stampin' Dimensionals on some of those elements to bring in more depth and interest to the layers. I feel like it helped give bring more interest to the whole project. 
For a couple of these I knew exactly the look I was going for - like the 'I love NY' picture above. For others I had a basic idea but had fun just adding papers and elements as I went along. I love those moments when creativity just flows and you can enjoy the process rather than worrying about whether or not it'll look great. 

I have several more Instagram pics that I'd like to put up in Jesse's room, along with some more elements from MDS. That's where my Cameo will come into play ;)  I've got plans. Big plans! For the moment I hope Jesse enjoys looking at these 'wonders of the world'. I know I do! 


Let's continue on with the hop - Cindy is next! 


Click Here for Cindy's blog









7 comments:

beth rush said...

i was floored by this project when i saw it on the MDS.net site and I just have to say i love it again!! its just so fantastic! baby magazines will be copying you for sure!

Cori Kozak said...

This is amazing!!! I foresee lots and lots of "pins" in your future!! Such a fun idea and looks like it's straight out of a magazine!!

Holly VanDyne said...

Well you already know how crazy I am about this project - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!! I need to make one. Now. :)

Jeanna Bohanon said...

Yeah - you totally rock. I can't believe how gorgeous your sons nursery is! You are one amazing woman.

Julie Davidse said...

You so need to post this on Houzz! It's adorable!

Wendie Waldman said...

This is such a spectacular project - dreams to be displayed for a very long time.

Cindy Schuster said...

I gasped when I saw this on MDS.net and I think it is one of your best projects ever! Very inspired to do one myself now!