Thursday, March 13, 2014

MDS Blog Hop - Hybrid projects


This week we're focusing on hybrid or e-cutter projects. Now... I did get a Cameo for Christmas and I am so, so excited about it - but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Do you ever feel like the more you try to simply life the busier it gets? That's where I am right now. But hey - I pulled it out of the box! Tell me that's not progress. ;)

I recently did a blog post for the MDS Design Team showing some of the cute things I made for my son Jesse's nursery. If you've already seen that post then I apologize for the repeat. This time I just wanted to show you a hybrid project I created. I've seen this idea floating around Pinterest and I'm so glad I was finally able to finish it.


I like to decorate my kids' rooms around a particular theme or idea; for Jesse I chose "Oh, the Places You'll Go." It's one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. I wanted something that would grow with him, so I purposely stayed away from things that were baby-ish. 

I remember spending hours looking at National Geographic magazines as a kid - I've always wanted to travel. There's something so magical about dreaming of far off places. Anyway, I scoured Instagram for all the coolest photos of the coolest places out there, saved them to my phone and then had them printed. I couldn't resist using MDS to bring in some fun elements. Stampin' Up has put out some pretty awesome travel downloads! 

My photos were 3x3 so I created the same size box on my page in MDS and filled it with quotes and graphics. Then all I had to do was print those designs, cut out the individual elements and put them together. I used Stampin' Dimensionals on some of those elements to bring in more depth and interest to the layers. I feel like it helped give bring more interest to the whole project. 
For a couple of these I knew exactly the look I was going for - like the 'I love NY' picture above. For others I had a basic idea but had fun just adding papers and elements as I went along. I love those moments when creativity just flows and you can enjoy the process rather than worrying about whether or not it'll look great. 

I have several more Instagram pics that I'd like to put up in Jesse's room, along with some more elements from MDS. That's where my Cameo will come into play ;)  I've got plans. Big plans! For the moment I hope Jesse enjoys looking at these 'wonders of the world'. I know I do! 


Let's continue on with the hop - Cindy is next! 


Click Here for Cindy's blog









7 comments:

beth rush said...

i was floored by this project when i saw it on the MDS.net site and I just have to say i love it again!! its just so fantastic! baby magazines will be copying you for sure!

Cori Kozak said...

This is amazing!!! I foresee lots and lots of "pins" in your future!! Such a fun idea and looks like it's straight out of a magazine!!

Holly VanDyne said...

Well you already know how crazy I am about this project - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!! I need to make one. Now. :)

Jeanna Bohanon said...

Yeah - you totally rock. I can't believe how gorgeous your sons nursery is! You are one amazing woman.

stampinjul said...

You so need to post this on Houzz! It's adorable!

Wendie Waldman said...

This is such a spectacular project - dreams to be displayed for a very long time.

Cindy Schuster said...

I gasped when I saw this on MDS.net and I think it is one of your best projects ever! Very inspired to do one myself now!