Friday, October 24, 2008

World Card Making Day and GNO Projects

October 4th is officially World Card Making Day, so in honor of this very popular holiday, we made 4 different cards for Girls' Night Out. I was pretty pleased with how they all turned out and everyone had so much fun! Getting together with friends, stamping 'til the late hours of the night, enjoying yummy food and hilarious girl talk - ahhh...it doesn't get much better than that!



The colors on this are a little off, but again, that's just my dumb camera and lack of photography skills. You get the idea though. We embossed a few elements on this card with Silver Embossing Powder. To create a fun accent behind the skull stamp, we embossed it and then used a sponge to daub on some Kiwi Kiss ink. My sister says it looks like it could glow in the dark - very cool!



This card uses the Pick A Petal stamp set (the greeting is retired - sorry!) and I wish I could take credit for such a cute idea. I found it on Splitcoast Stampers; how amazing that you can use the images to make something completely different from what it was designed for. Now that's creativity!

I hadn't used Heartfelt Thanks in quite awhile so I figured it was time to dig it out. I found the layout for this on Splitcoast Stampers and made just a few changes. I love the new Bella Rose Designer Series Paper this year - I think it coordinates perfectly with the flower on this card. We used a fun technique to achieve the watercolor look of the flower. Spritz a piece of watercolor paper with water - you don't need much, just enough to wet the paper. Using your Watercolor Crayons, color directly onto the stamp and then stamp onto the wet paper. When you remove your stamp you'll see that the crayon instantly spreads just enough to make it look as though you watercolored it yourself! Allow the paper to dry and then stamp your second image on top of the first one to give a more dimensional look to your flower. Voila! An elegant card that makes you look like a natual artist.

As beautiful as the last card was, this is my absolute favorite. We used a technique similar to the one we used on the first Halloween card. After embossing our image with white embossing powder, we used a Stipple Brush to create a soft texture behind our stamped image. So simple to put together, but one that the recipient will be sure to keep!

Our next GNO is November 14th at 7:00 pm. I'm planning to post our projects next week, so keep checking back!


1 comment:

Steph Gittins said...

Girl, I love these! I haven't used Heartfelt Thanks for a while either; you've definitely inspired me to pull it out again!