Thursday, January 14, 2010

Something Girly

I bought a necklace months ago for my niece who just turned 8 and I've wondered how to send it to her.  I wanted it to be cute of course, and lucky me - I stumbled on these plain white boxes at the dollar store!  Her birthday was in December and I FINALLY sat down to make it cute and girly - I try to do things on time, I really do!  The idea was definitely cuter in my head, but it's too late to change it now :)  





I used my grid paper to measure the box and then cut out pieces of Certainly Celery DSP to cover the box.  I adhered it with SNAIL, but then noticed that some of the corners were coming up, so I glued them down with my 2-way glue pen.  


The flower is from the Pretties Kit and I used my Melon Mambo marker and some Stampin' Mist to color it.  Some of you may have used this technique at one of my Girls' Night out classes - simply spray the flower with the mist and then color the flower with the marker. Let it sit for a few minutes and the color will spread all on it's own.  I kept spritzing it and coloring it until I was happy with the way it looked.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but I also sprayed the flower with my glitter mist to make it even more girly!





I used my Crop-a-dile to punch a slightly bigger hole in the center of the flower and then ran my ribbon through - I used the Polka Dot Melon Mambo, isn't it adorable?  I also adhered the ribbon to the box using Sticky Strip so that it won't move around when she takes the cover on and off.  





I used the Matchbox Messages stamp set then colored the image with my markers and punched it out with the 1 1/4" circle punch.  I left the heart image off when I stamped it and put a brad in it's place.  I LOVE these new epoxy brads.  They're in the Occassions Mini Catalog and I think they're the cutest thing I've seen in a long time.  I just had to get all 3 colors ;)


I pushed some Linen Thread through the knot of my ribbon using tweezers and then looped it around the brad and tied it off in a little bow.  I have to say that even though it's not quite what I'd pictured when I started on the project, it still turned out pretty well!


*and by the way, my niece never checks my blog (she's only 8), so I'm sure this post won't spoil the surprise!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Amber, its super cute!

Debbie said...

Very cute! She'll love it!

Lisa said...

sooooo cute!!!!!!!!